View Single Post
Old 09-15-2015, 09:39 AM   #8
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Hi Walt,

It is not all that uncommon of a problem with RV refer's.

There are two or actually 3 methods to try before you abandon what you have.

The first and foremost is make sure you have not been smelling amonia. If so you have / or had a leak in your system and nothing below will help you until you find the leak fixit and recharge the system.

Some of these methods might sound strange but if you search youtube videos and a general google search.

I did a quick search and just found this one.
http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide...frigerator.php

The amonia can crystalize on the interior of the capailary tubes. Sometimes A few wacks on the cooling tubing with a wooden mallet or a block of wood can dislodge a blockage.
It worked on a friends unit about 3 years ago and as far as I know it is still working.

The other method is a real pain in the rear to do. But it involves removing the fridge your self (with the help of friends). It is easier to do on a small pickup slide in camper fridge.

Wait 15 mins between each rotation below.

1. remove the fridge and set down on cardboard or outside.
2. rotate the whole unit so it is sitting on the right side.
3. rotate the whole unit so it is sitting on the top side.
4. rotate the unit again so the left side is on the bottom.
5. stand it upright and reinstall.
Sounds like hocus pocus but I've done it before and it has worked.

Last but not least. Pay a service fee and have it professionally checked out before you just order a new one.

Like others have said. The price is stupidly expensive for what it is designed to do by comparision of a household unit.

It depends on what type of camping you do and if you even need a propane option.

Sorry I could not be of more help
Best of luck in your decision.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WaltandLynne

The Norcold 1210 (4 doors) in our rig will not cool on either AC or LP. Worked great all summer but now nothing. It was repaired as part of a sensor recall about 3 or 4 years ago. The AC is OK as well as the burner works and the coils in the back get hot. A dealer I asked about the refer said it needed a new cooling unit for about $2000 and a new refer was about $4700. Do those costs sound reasonable? If not, how much should I expect to pay for a new cooling unit?

Thanks for the help.

Walt