View Single Post
Old 06-21-2018, 09:42 AM   #42
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
I, for one, am a skeptic. His reasoning just does not make sense to me. I do agree with his statement that if you have a 50 amp rig you should plug into the 50 amp outlet if available. But I know of no reason to do otherwise. Beyond that I do not agree on many things.

A 30 amp outlet is designed to safely and adequately carry 30 amps. And that outlet is protected by a 30 amp breaker to ensure it does not carry more than the rating. And if properly wired should not overheat.

Yes, a 50 amp rig is capable of pulling 3 times more power than a 30 amp rig, IF it is plugged into a 50 amp outlet. But plugged into a 30 amp outlet using an adapter it is limited to 30 amps. Just like a 30 amp rig.

I have no idea why he thinks a 50 amp rig that is limited by a 30 amp breaker is going to “pull down” everyone’s power. And that it is like 3 RVs suddenly plugging in. 30 amps is 30 amps no matter what the RV.

If the park outlet is in poor condition, yes, it can overheat. If the wiring is undersized or improperly wired, it can overheat. If the breaker is poor quality and trips at higher amps than design, it can overheat. But these conditions can exist on a 30 amp RV running at max power.

If I am wrong I certainly welcome anyone to correct my thinking.
Everything you said is correct, but everyone needs to understand that circuit breakers are meant to trip on over current, and don't last forever. Each time a breaker trips it's performance is degraded, and can actually start tripping at a lower or even higher amperage, then the condition can snowball, until the next weakest link in the amperage chain gives...that might be breakers on your rig, or their receptacle. Point is, if enough 50 amp people rely on the park 30 amp breaker to trip, you are actually doing damage to the park equipment however unintentional. I do agree with others in choosing not to spend my $$$ at a park that limits me to 30 amps. As others have pointed out, so many units now have 50 amp connections that RV parks are going to have to upgrade their 30 amp pedestals if they want to stay competitive.
Denny and Angie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote