View Single Post
Old 11-30-2016, 06:51 AM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Being a long time Kaiser customer, I can't comment on other HMOs. But I am very familiar with Kaiser as a long time (not full time) traveler. To be a customer of Kaiser, you must live in one of the geographical areas for at least 6 months out of the year. Verifying your address is easy for them but I have no idea how, of if, they monitor how often you are there.

Kaiser covers you for emergency services when you are out of the area of a Kaiser facility. Usually the out of area provider will bill Kaiser directly which avoids you paying and then seeking reimbursement (which works) from Kaiser.

I used to have Kaiser mail my prescription refills to where I would be at the time. I have used the addresses of RV Parks, friends and even the Postal Services General Delivery service. Prescription meds are now an issue due to a recent change (allegedly due a fed requirement that no one can cite). They now only mail meds to the state were you reside *OR* the states where they do business (California, Colorado, the District of Columbia, Georgia, Hawaii, Maryland, New York, Oregon, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin). However you must arrange directly with the pharmacy in the non-resident state to have them mail to you when you are there. I suspect your mail service eliminates this problem but does introduce some delay in receiving replacement meds.

Health care coverage is a complex issue when full timing. HMO v. PPO. v. Medicare v. ACA v. potential ACA changes need to be understood and evaluated before making a decision. Escapees, RV Dreams and other web based services catering to full timers are excellent places to learn.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote