Thread: Montana 3440
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2015, 05:06 PM   #8
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by southern thunder

We want a bigger Montana. A 3440 is the one we want. Now for the problem. We have a 2011 Ram 2500 4x4 short wheelbase diesel truck. The Payload capacity of the truck is 2210 lbs and the max trailer weight is 12450 lbs. The 3440 weighs 12475 lbs dry, and the hitch weight is 2735 lbs. I notice on the forum a lot of members seem to be exceeding their trucks numbers. If I added Firestorm air bags to my truck do you think my truck would handle the 3440. I only have 25000 on my truck and I hate to trade it.
While the air bags may improve the ride and level condition of adding that extra weight over the rear axles, they do nothing to add to the Payload that can be carried in the same truck. If your Payload capacity on your current vehicle is 2210 lbs, then before you add a can of beans to your trailer your pin weight on the bigger Montana already exceeds the capacity of the truck. The 3500 has larger brakes and it has an additional set of rubber on the road to assist in the braking. All 1 ton DRW TV have a greater GVWR than do the SRW.

The only thing about the SAE J2807 tow standards that makes any difference to the consumer is if everyone rates their vehicles using the same standards you are not at the mercy of the manufacturer who makes claims without using the same standards of comparison.

Those tests were all performed while towing trailers that did not exceed the GVWR of the TV, keep that in mind when you read all this mumbo jumbo regarding the test standards.

Purchasing a TV that allows your loaded trailers pin weight and the weight of the fully loaded TV to not exceed the GVWR of the TV will go a long way towards safely pulling/stopping whatever you decide to purchase in the way of a 5th wheel.

There are many who far exceed the capacity of their TV, that is their choice, many have towed thousands of miles without incident, it is a choice you also will have to make.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote