Thread: South Dakota
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 03:31 AM   #14
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Trust me on this... When a State is going broke they will do anything to get money. Minnesota is going after RV'ers as far back as 8 or 9 years ago... Here is just a sample of what they are doing..

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/mn-suprem...t/1385455.html

They are now going much further and going to forums like this on and signing up then tracking anyone that says they were from their state.. They use your signature to see what kind of RV you have and go from there.. They even go the campgrounds and check license plates.. When they see one from South Dakota for example, they check with that state to see where you came from... They know all the mail forwarding places so know you are fulltiming...The first thing they do is write to you demanding to see copies of all purchases you have made since leaving your home state.. It gets worse from then on and can cost you Thousands to fight them....
The link above is about income tax but they try to get sales tax on any RV's, trucks, motorcycles etc.. And they don't stop at the year you moved.. They continue right up to today's date... If you do not give them the info they go by the MSRP and bill you on the full amount listed... The case I am now referring to is still pending so I can not say too much.. The tax people are lurking everywhere.. I am not making this up... Just be sure you know the rules of the State you are leaving... That is the only one that counts..
Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote