Thread: South Dakota
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 07:25 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have used Alternative Resources for more than nine years and have had no significant problems. We're happy with them.

I am not sure what Dick's insurance situation is but there are many different plans. We also have Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas. Our legal address is South Dakota and BCBSKS has no problem with that. It all boils down to the plan your group has.

I retired from Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas and have the same plan I had when I worked there. The exception is that, knowing we would be traveling, I chose to change from an HMO plan to a plan that pays better when I go outside that network of providers (facilities and doctors).

With any of the plans you can go to any provider in any state who participates with his regional BCBS and you will get coverage per YOUR contract with YOUR BCBS. I was the IT project leader for installation of the system that handles that.

Uou have to be aware the same limitations you have while in-state (where your BCBS is located) also apply when out of state. In other words, if you are part of an HMO or PPO where you get a better deal when you go to a facility/doctor who participates in that particular HMO or PPO, and you pay more when you go outside that network, then that also applies out of state. It also is possible your plan has different payments for out of state service than for in-state out-of-network services.

There are a few plans out there that will NOT cover you if you move out of state. Therefore, I very highly recommend you contact Customer Service in your BCBS and explain to them what you are planning to do. It may mean you change coverage plans within your existing group. It may mean nothing changes for you. Or it may mean you'd have to transfer to a plan offered by BCBS of South Dakota. If you are a member of a group for your insurance coverage, then if you transfer you might have to have individual coverage, which can be rather expensive. So please contact your BCBS and talk it over with them. Be sure they know what group you are with because it is that contract with that group that spells out your options in this scenario.

Good luck.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote