View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 06:22 AM   #4
Dmaxdon
Established Member

M.O.C. #8452
I have read in other posts that some people are having problems driving the knurled bolts all the way in.If you put the bolts in from the inside for easy greasing like I did, the holes have no previous grooves cut and are a little harder to get in all the way but they will go in all the way as long as the holes are line up so the threaded end's shoulder goes into the hanger bracket hole on the outside. This is real important because if you tighten the nut with the shoulder not lined up, you are clamping the hanger bracket and the nut will not stay tight.
Once you know you are lined up, you can clamp the holder together to squeeze the spring. I used two industrial clamps to do this. This takes all the bounce out of the hanger bracket and makes it easy to drive the knurled bolt all the way in.
I drive on a 3/8" deep impact socket to cover and protect the grease zerk and I use a 4 lb hammer.You can hear the hammer blow change sound as soon as the head is up tight against the hanger.
If your knurled bolt is not up tight, it is not locked completely or the bolt is not lined up. Either one , it is not a proper installation and you might want an RV tech to investigate.
Dmaxdon is offline   Reply With Quote