View Single Post
Old 01-13-2007, 11:36 AM   #32
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Grant - reading your posts is reliving my experiences, as well as the relearning experience of each Spring. My driveway always has these little "Z" marks from the tires where I stop, crank the wheel over, and then pull up some, then stop, crank the wheel the other way; pulling forward is the only way I could keep from 90 degreeing myself as well. Have gotten much better with more experience (and you will as well) but do remember, go slow (at times you might think that earth worm is going to pass you , let em!!). The key is slow, as soon as you see it going amiss, correct, and if necessary pull forward and try it again. My first summer I even had a 'neighbor' tell me to get out and let him park it -- I refused his kind offer with the comment - if you do it, I'll never learn!! He agreed and stayed back enjoying his beer!!

(By the way for those who have driven regular 18 wheelers as I did for a few years in the Army (18 wheel JP4 tanker); I find that my mountaineer does NOT turn like the ole tanker trailer. Those wheels being mid trailer instead of at the the end make a BIG difference.)

Be safe, and those of you out on the highways now, take it slow and easy. We want to see you at the Rally's.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote