View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 02:19 AM   #13
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Larry on RV Net posted the answer to my question posted there: #

Larry, as I understand your post and these follow up comments, I can attach my Honda 2000 to my RV but first I should connect the ground and the neutral in the cord running from the Honda to the RV. I have a system where I have isolated the Air Conditioner in the RV with an IOTA ITS-30R Transfer Switch leading to a separate outlet for the generator to plug into. If I just modify the cord it sounds like it should work. Is there any testing with a multimeter that would confirm this before I power it up? Thanks John
# larrycad on October 16th, 2009 7:59 am

John, your understanding is correct. To verify your connection, I will assume your cord ends in a standard 15 or 20 amp plug. I understand that this is the plug you use to power your A/C on the RV. If all that is correct, you will need a multimeter to make the checks you want. First, notice on the end plug that there are three “holes”, two slots and a “round” hole. One of the two slots is taller than the other. That would be the slot on the left as you look at the plug receptacle. The taller slot is the neutral and the shorter slot is the hot. The round hole is the ground. With your multimeter set to read ohms or continuity, and with the cord unplugged from the generator, you should read continuity between the ground and the neutral. You should also read infinity between the hot and the neutral. Next, plug the cord into the generator and fire it up. With the multimeter in the AC volts setting, and set to read at least 130 volts AC, check the voltage from hot to neutral and read about 120vac. Then check from hot to ground and read the same voltage. Now read from neutral to ground and you should have 0 vac. If these checks are ok, you should be safe to plug in your A/C. Any questions, please let me know.

Larry

The full context of this post can be seen at: http://blog.rv.net/2009/10/generator...and-grounding/
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote