View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 02:43 PM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
This is something I'll need to check. The dual Hondas I use their parallel cable between them. In addition there is an expensive external metal box that gets fastened to one of the gennys that provides the 30 amp plug that the RV cable connects to. This metal box is a good size and could have more than the power supply wiring required by the RV. I might open it to confirm what inside. Maybe there's a #10 wire providing bonding. On the other hand maybe I should just locate the documentation and check or contact Honda directly to get their facts.

Just ANOTHER thing to think and learn about in the RV world.

KathyandDave - Nice new avatar - But I didn't realize you were German. To put things in Deustche sprechen: Spiztzensparken ist verbotten und zwie Gheneratorsht nein musten gerfingerpoken und der connekshuns ist Guten Tite or else GAZZIT. Hey, what can I say. My Spanish is even worse.

ON EDIT: Starting with the link provided by Countryfolks there are other links by the author that does comment on how to bond a portable generator when used with AND only with the RV. Basically you jumper the neutral and ground together inside the chassis using a #10 wire. I guess in the case of a dual genny system, this means only one genny needs it. Then the genny MUST not be used as a power source for the house since the house is already bonded (or remove the jumper). But what about if I want to use the portable genny to power individual devices, like TVs, laptops, etc.? Something else to check out.

SECOND EDIT: took the interface box apart (provided by Reliant for Honda to provide the 30 amp connector) for the dual gennys. The ground is not connected (bonded) to neutral! So what happens in this case? I get fried if I touch something and it's raining? A little help please. If I eventually get around to bonding the interface box then disconnecting the interface box means I can use the individual genny for individual devices. I will have to try and get in touch with Honda or their local experts (like where I bought it) and see what they know. FYI - The Reliant box connects the parallel cables to the ground, neutral and hot female 30 amp connector. It also has a 30 amp breaker and watt gauge in the assembly. This will be the best place to put a BOND across the neutral and ground since it is ONLY for the RV.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote