View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #8
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
This is tricky stuff and dangerous if one gets it wrong. The article in RV.net is revealing both for the information presented and for the tendency of many commenters to cling to myth. I know from personal professional experience that the waveforms of modern electronic devices are nothing like the waveforms of simple electromechanical devices and therefore the old ways of managing them DO NOT WORK. Has anybody measured the voltage and current waveforms of the Honda? I wouldn't place a lot of faith in genny repair shops, since they may be doing what they've always done, based on old ideas about how alternating current works and may not actually know what the genny is doing. Personally, I agree with farmboy about bonding the neutral and ground at the genny (analogous to bonding at the X0 of a transformer or at the service entrance of a house), but I would be leery of making simple comparative assumptions and proceeding to make up cables as if they were true. From the discussion on RV.net, it sounds to me like the Honda uses a "balanced" power scheme to get 120V out of two 60V systems wired out of polarity. An anecdote told to me in my professional life makes me VERY cautious about bringing the balanced power anywhere near common power. Spitzensparken!
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote