View Single Post
Old 04-27-2008, 02:41 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
The decision to send a dog, (or any other animal), to The Rainbow Bridge is never an easy decision. Obviously, one must weigh the quality of life issue very carefully. My DW managed a Vet Hospital in Alaska for 12 years and saw many very happy three legged dogs during her stay their. As a matter of fact, one of the Doctors had a three legged dog that loved life. The decision to replace a pet is also a very difficult decision. Sometimes it is better to wait for the grieving process to occur fully and sometimes it is best to go for it right away. When replacing, one should consider a different breed as you may have a tendency to compare the lost pet to the new one. Not necessarily a bad thing, but sometihing to consider. Cathy and I sent our Sam (golden Retriever) to wait for us at the Rainbow Bridge back in August, last year and there isn't a day goes by that we don't think of him. We only had him for 5 years, but what good times they were. Are we ready for another? We don't feel we are yet. Being fulltimers does present a different situation for pet owners as you all know. When we are ready we will probably seek out an older dog that needs to be rescued and possibly a different breed. This is the longest we have been without a dog in our 39 years of marriage.

I only write this to share our feelings and experiences with those of you going thru this process. Whatever your decision is, you have our support and prayers. God bless our furry friends as they are truly Gods gift to us......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote