View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 07:41 AM   #53
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
We have owned: a 5th wheel (Montana 3400), a gasser motorhome (Allegro Bay 37DB), and currently a diesel pusher motorhome (Phaeton 40 QDH). For us, the MH is the preferable option because (1) DW is an incurable cat rescue person so we always travel with a small herd of felines, (2) I much prefer to drive the big one and tow the little one than the other way around, (3) I never enjoyed driving around town and trying to park a pick-up that was big enough (according to specs) to safely haul our 3400, (4) I got to the point where the set-up and take-down of the 3400 was more than I wanted to deal with, (5) the total cost of the Phaeton was not significantly greater than the combined cost of the pick-up and fifth wheel we would have purchased had we chosen that option, (6) wife refused to drive a pick-up and wanted a Jeep anyway ... so we were buying a Jeep (now our toad) regardless, (7) I have more CCC than I need even when fully loaded so don't worry about weight anymore, (8) the Phaeton drives and rides like a dream.

On the down side: (1) my insurance costs are much higher, (2) oil changes, etc. are much more expensive BUT only performed once every 12,000 miles, (3) the interior layout is neither as roomy-feeling nor as cozy/homelike, (4) many gas stations sell diesel, not many have the room or the height to handle a 40-foot motorhome towing a Jeep ... so have to locate truck stops and plan diesel fuel purchases carefully, (5) tires are obscenely expensive, (6) unlike fivers, 40-foot motorhomes do not like and cannot accomodate campsites that are not level (auto-leveling systems are wonderful but limited in their ability to deal with unlevel ground), (7) in our experience, motorhome chassis and other structural components (roofs, sidewalls, floors, windshields, etc.) are subject to greater levels of stress, strain, torsion, and twisting (i.e., greater potential damage) than we ever experienced with the Montana.

On balance, the MH works for us. Clearly it does not work for everyone. I expect that is why they build and sell both!

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote