View Single Post
Old 08-03-2006, 05:09 PM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Just fried our 1/2 time...

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but just had to share.

Cheryl used the 1/2 time oven a few days ago for the first time. There is a metal tray that is supposed to be used if you are going to cook in the 1/2 time mode. She baked a Pyrex bowl of scalped potatoes (out of the box). She used the metal plate and it worked fine.

Tonight she repeated this procedure, but neglected to put the metal tray in. She set the bowl right on the glass. Only a 3" round bottom on this bowl. She set it for 12 minutes.

At 6 minutes, we came in from outside and it smelled like plastic burning. There was a slight smokey haze in the air. Everything looked normal in the oven. Then Cheryl noticed that the plastic grill above the oven was warping. We immediately shut it down. It was extremely hot. The coil in the back left side would not go off for 2-3 minutes. The clock display went off, then all lights went off.

The manual says don't use the 1/2 time mode without the metal tray - they do not have any explanation of WHY, and they have no cautions - as in all other manuals - warning of any possible damage/fire/injury. They just say, use it...

I can't believe that this would have caused such a severe meltdown, and such massive electrical damage. As I said, all the other mauals, had big, boxed in warnings and possible dire consequences if proper procedures are not followed. Any reference to a dangerous situation resulting from not using the metal tray is totally absent.

This leads me to believe that it is possible that the cooling fan failed, leading to this extreme overheating that melted the grill and fried the wiring.

I have checked all other appliances and breakers, and there doesn't seem to be any residual damage, or blown breakers. Just the 1/2 time oven melting/frying the electronics.

This appliance is serviceable only by a technician. I can't get into the back end as they have two screw heads (one on each side of the back panel) out of the 8 screws, that have that special head that only techinicians have that "special" driver for... I know... I tried.

I pulled the unit out. The outlet plug (it is that funny 3 pronged plug, with the 2 blades at 90 degree angles to each other) wasn't hot or damaged as far as I could tell. I'm sure most of the damage was near that element that would not turn off for several minutes when we shut down the oven. It also warped and discolored the steel grate between the element and the interior of the oven.

I am contacting Bill Tea (my dealer) tomorrow for suggestions. My main concern, obviously, is a possible voided warranty. That's why I want Bill to handle this. He has been very helpful in the past in getting things done.

I can't believe that a glass bowl w/o the cooking plate could have led to such a massive overheating situation. If this was the case, they surely would have put huge, noticeable warnings about this in the manual. They did not.

Dave and Cheryl Sprik
Bellaire, MI

2002 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Ext Cab, LB, SLE (w/ full power/elect options)
Reese 16K Hitch, Draw Tite Brake Controller (Activator II)
Full undercoating, Rhino Spray-In Liner
2007 3400RL
Venetian Gold Interior
2nd A/C, Fireplace, Dual Pane Windows, Central Vac
WE'RE HOME!

Don't EVER give up on your Dream.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote