Thread: 1/2 Ton Tow #2
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 03:23 AM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

Rich there is no difference with respect to the axles whether in Canada or the US. I did not realize you had "G" rated tires, since 2 of them @ 3750 lbs on one axle exceed the 7k of the axle the sticker can state a GAWR of 7k. It has nothing to do with Canada/US it has to do with the Marathon tires that are below the rating of the 7k axle. The reference I used previously to the Boat Trailer Builders Assn. was American, not Canadian.

Keystone could use the ST235/80R16 Trail America tire which is rated at 3520 and the sticker could then be at 7k since they also exceed the 7k rating of the axle. They are also a better tire.

I stopped by a SOB dealer today to look at a used truck camper, all four of their heavy model 5th wheels come standard with G rated tires. Time for Keystone to start putting the G rated tires on these bigger rigs as standard equipment, not as an option.
I do agree that there is no difference in the axle usa or Canadian. Also agree on the factors that determine axle rating. However in the USA it will state 7K on that sticker, example on every 3402 Rv.In Canada it is required that the actual rating is stated. It would be interesting to see what that sticker says on an Canadian Montana Big Sky with the G6 14 tires on it.

The G6 14 ties are OEM on the Big Sky only as far as I know and NOT a option on any other model. Lock out items on a new Rv for us was the 6 point level system and the G6 14 tires. That package was more cost effective than swapping the tires after purchase.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote