Thread: 1/2 Ton Tow #2
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #33
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
TLightning... EW through me off (Empty weight?). It is also called CW or UW (Curb weight or Unladen Weight). Just like the shipping weight on the trailer, the Ew (as you call it) is a bogus specification if you use documentation to calculate your CCC, because it depends on the model, and options in the truck. The only way to know the curb weight is to get to the scales with nothing in it but you and all fluids topped off including the fuel tank. This IS the EW/CW/UW. Do not rely on any brochure. Then subtract this value from the GVWR of the truck and that is the CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity) aka Payload for your truck. Then use the FAWR, RAWR and finally the CGWR to ensure the weight is distributed correctly.

100% of the time you will find you CANNOT be at the maximums for ALL the ratings because the ratings are the maximum for a particular point. For example, my upgraded suspension truck now has a 6,000lb at the Front axle and 7,000 at the rear axle, which equals 13,000lbs, but the GVWR is only 11,500lb. This means if I am carrying 7,000 at the rear axle, I better only have 4,500 at the front axle to not exceed the overall GVWR. Then CGVWR is even worse. This is why it is said, if you are overweight anywhere, at any point, then you are overweight (not weight compliant and therefore liable in the event of a mishap).
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote