Thread: 1/2 Ton Tow #2
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #29
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Rich the axle rating on my 3402RL is 7k as well, what I am referring to is the sticker on the front left corner of the unit that legally "must" be placed there by the manufacturer. That on my unit is where it states the GAWR is 6750 lbs. They have to do that in order to comply with regulations that make it illegal to reduce the axle rating by installing tires, rims or springs that are not equal to or greater than the axle rating of 7k. The standard issue tire is a Marathon or some other ST tire rated at 3420 lbs, that is less than the capacity of the axles that are rated for 7k combined with the two 3500 lb springs certify it as a 7k axle. The certification mandatory on the trailer as I understand it "cannot" be greater than the lesser component in the equation, in this case it is the tires.

If they used a "G" rated tire they would not have to reduce the GAWR down to meet the capacity of the tires. I believe the only requirement in Canada is the CSA certification on equipment installed in the unit. A 7k axle in the US is still a 7k axle in Canada, a tire DOT rated for 3420 lbs is the same in both countries. Ask Keystone the question, but don't expect to get the proper answer from just anyone there.....

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote