Old 08-28-2013, 07:38 AM   #27
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Richfa wrote:
Quote:
quote:
I do not think there is any law to regulate this in that area
I have been able to find regulations in several Provinces that address this Axle/Tire issue specifically and the Boat Trailer Manufactures Assn website refers to certain US Federal laws regarding this as well. You might want to ask Keystone why they reduced the GAWR on their sticker to 6750 lbs from the 7000 lb axle supplied by Dexter. You might also ask them if they can legally put LT tires on those axles effectively reducing the axles capacity. I think I know what the answer will be.

Here is a question asked and the answer on the BTBA website:

QUESTION:
How do I know I have the proper sized tires on my trailer?

ANSWER:
Look at the VIN / Certification label on the front left side of the trailer. This will have the proper tire size, and inflation pressure, printed on it. You can check this by looking at the Maximum Load Rating stamped on the sidewall of the tire. This load rating (when multiplied by 2 - for the 2 tires on the axle) must be equal to, or greater than, the Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) printed on the VIN / Certification label.

When we traded in our TT for our first 5er the dealer told us he would not sell us the larger one we wanted unless we upgraded our truck, we bought a smaller 5er based on his advise. It "is" about the sale and doing the right thing, our salesman made a sale and we were legal when we left the yard. Good for him.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote