View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Got my endorsement several years ago after reading in the Escapees' Forum. Seems that the CHP was stopping folks headed east out of the Sacramento area. They would check the trailer sticker for weight rating and then see if your license was appropriate. If not the CHP would require someone with the appropriate license to drive OR you would be required to drop your rig where it was and go get your endorsement or find someone authorized to tow your rig!

Anyway I went into the DMV and asked about the endorsement. They looked at me like I had a couple of heads. Finally they found a section that stated what was needed. They had to photocopy the requirements because they did not have any brochures. I ended up having to pay for mine because I was within 6 months of my renewal date.

I have never known personally of anyone ever having a problem because they did not have the endorsement so don't know if it was worth the effort or not. I have been stopped once by the CHP since I got my endorsement (and I was towing). He said nothing about the endorsement so I don't know if it made any difference or not! By the way the nice young CHP officer did not issue me a ticket for my offense. Lucky me.

Would I go through the trouble again? I honestly don't know. I'd think about it but don't know what I'd do. Good luck with whatever you do and Travel Safely! Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote