View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 01:39 PM   #25
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
They replaced the intermediate steering shaft in my '03 GMC almost a year ago after I complained of the front end clunking. There was no mention of any cost, however when I left their lot & traveled less than one block at very slow speed, I found I had no steering - NONE whatsoever. I was able to come to a stop & spun the steering wheel which just went around like a wheel on a bearing, but no connection to the front wheels. After walking back to the dealer office & reporting the problem they went & got the truck & found the service tech had either forgotten to replace the pin or put it in only partially & it worked out. I was more happy than they were that I hadn't gotten out to the freeway. Whenever I go in now they refer to me as "The Boss" because I, or my surviving family, would have owned their dealership. By the way, the shop foreman told me I was lucky on a 2nd issue also. Apparently spinning the steering wheel can wind up the wiring for the airbag & cause it to deploy. That would have been the frosting on the cake. Thinking back, maybe this is why there was no mention of cost to do the work. mike
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote