Thread: Awning Spring
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2008, 05:25 AM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Awning Spring

Whoever said the awning spring was powerful was not kidding. Yesterday I was bringing in my awning and the front arm stuck before going all the way in, the rear arm was almost in. I got on a stepstool to free the arm up and I did, only MY arm was caught between the awning arm and the trailer. There I was stuck against the trailer with my arm stuck. At this point the rear arm had closed. Cathy had to climb on the stepstool with me to try and hold the awning arm out as I tried to raise my arm up and out between the beast. After a few painful minutes I was able to free MY arm from the Monty arm. Luckily I did not sustain anything other than soft tissue damage (swelling and bruising).

I have several questions for the learned many: If the awning is half way in does it have to go all the way in before you can release it and extend it again or could we have just hit the release and extended it again??? If you are extending it and you are half way out and decide to roll it back in do you have to extend it first and then hit the release or can you hit the release at any point?

I realize now, I should have had Cathy hold the awning rod and strap while I tried to free the arm, but you know what they say, Hindsight is 20-20.

I only hope this does not affect my pickleball playing as that was on my dominant arm. If you haven't played pickleball, it's a great sport for the over 60 crowd.......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote