View Single Post
Old 12-31-2019, 10:19 AM   #74
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
I just purchased a new Ram 3500 SB just 3 days ago trading my ford SB. Many of us have SB because turning radius is important, at least that is our main priority as we have a tight parking situation that actually requires a 110 degrees turn in tight confines.

I went with the Andersen for two reasons 1st we have two parking options at home one is the 5er is on level ground and the truck is 12 degrees at point of disconnect which the Ball type hitch can easily accommodate, however our second and primary parking option at home requires a 110 degree backing turn to get into our RV carport. Mind you we have a 3791RD at 41'.

With that said for extremely tight turning the Andersen ball hitch allows me to get my max turn (about 80+ degrees) then drop the 5er disconnect and then reconnect at a different angle to complete the 110 degree turn. This takes all of a 5 minutes to drop and reconnect. The Ball hitch makes this easy whereas the kingpin hitch's have far more limitation with offset disconnects and reconnects at angles.

I originally had a Reese Slider and could not maneuver into my carport, now with the Andersen I am GOLDEN...

As for the Safety chains what's an extra $80 and it only takes 30 seconds to hook them up.

My 3rd reason for dumping the slider and going Andersen is Payload with the Andersen Hitch I gained nearly 200lbs of Payload, that us invaluable since I was borderline on payload as it was with our SRW wheel rig and a Slider hitch.
This is a GREAT post and great information!!! I was sure that the Andersen wouldn't get to 90, even on the new Chevy's with more distance, but I didn't know that number. While I think that the Chevy's get more than 80, I don't see how they get to 90. I haven't done the measurement, but I'm pretty sure that I'm over 80 degrees in my driveway for sure.

When I add all of this up, I'm going with an auto slider again. For me (YMMV), I just like the insurance that the slider affords me. I just drive. I don't worry about hitting the cab of the truck, or stopping to slide, it just happens automatically.

And, I agree with this post that I do not want a LB truck. The SB turns bad enough. The LB would be the pits as a daily driver. A daily driver for the DW...