View Single Post
Old 06-20-2019, 05:49 PM   #1
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Which option for better ride?

After pulling our trailer for a year now, I’ve decided to add some damping between my truck and trailer. I have a Montana 3121RL and a Ford F350 dually with the factory “puck” system.Here are my three options:
Option #1: Replace my existing pin box with a Flex-Air pin box or 5th Airborne air cushioned pin box.I’m guessing both will ride about the same.I have a B&W Companion hitch.
Option #2: Sale the B&W and go with the Reese Gooseball hitch.I like the idea of a clean bed, but I bought my truck strictly to pull the Montana, so a hitch would rarely need to be removed.I’m just now getting comfortable hitching up to the pin box, and going to a goose ball seems to be a little more difficult getting it lined up.Going this route eliminates some issues, but introduces others.Also, I do not have any other gooseneck trailers (one of the reasons folks go with this option).
Option #3: Sale the B&W and order a Trailer Saver BD5, or something similar.This option would probably result in the best ride, but how much better than the first two, I don’t know.Does the significantly higher cost result in a proportionally better ride?Also, the hitch is heavier than the B&W, and I’m not sure if it will fit under my BackFlip cover.
So, I’m hoping you guys and girls out there can share your experiences and thoughts. We have a 2500 mile trip coming up soon, and would like to have the new configuration in place by then.
One last question, are any of these vendors normally at the Fall Rally, with sale prices?
Thanks in advance