View Single Post
Old 11-28-2018, 07:57 AM   #30
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
The reason I am about 99% sure this was not driver/operator error is the following information he provided me, plus he sent me a copy of his receipt.

When he pulled into that Pilot he needed some fuel in his aux tank and his truck tank. He also was low on DEF. His receipt shows he pumped 48 gallons of diesel and right at 5 gallons of DEF. Of course he left the Pilot with both diesel tanks full and the DEF topped off.

The Dodge dealer pulled samples from both his aux tank and truck tank, both had been contaminated with DEF.

The only way for that fuel to be contaminated by him would be the following. He would have had to pull the DEF nozzle from behind the plastic Pilot island cover, pump it into his DEF tank, then remove it and pump some more DEF into his aux diesel tank, then take it out of there and pump a little more into his truck diesel tank before hanging it back up.

I'm pretty certain no one could ever get that confused at a Pilot fuel stop. The only logical explanation was that the diesel he pumped into his truck diesel tank and his aux tank was already contaminated with DEF right from the underground diesel holding tank.

However, it is good for all of us to remember to slow down when fueling different vehicles especially when traveling across country. My RV uses both diesel and of course DEF, my car requires mid-grade gasoline, and my Harley needs 90-93 octane. Every vehicle I drive on a weekly basis uses a little something different plus we travel constantly. When I get out to pump I'm not socializing or talking on my phone, I'm concentrating on the job at hand at my age!