View Single Post
Old 01-03-2017, 01:13 AM   #15
EricHarmon
Established Member

M.O.C. #19325
Bama Camper: Yes, we're brand new to RVing. However, we're not new to automobile travel or cruise ship travel (which are different, to be sure, but enclosed living). Travel by car is one of our favorite things to do, except it's a pain to move stuff in and out of hotel rooms, and being away from home for any length of time, such as over two weeks or so, becomes a nuisance in terms of stopping mail/UPS, having someone watch the house, and so on.

I'm wary of purchasing used for a couple main reasons. First, unless I can find one that's only a year old or so, I don't expect it'll probably have warranty. Second, I'm going to inherit someone else's problems.

The first house I purchased was new. I lived in it for 17 years, and when I moved out, it was in pristine condition. It looked maybe 5 years old. I then moved into a "used" house, which I'm living in now. It's three years older than the first house I bought, but looks 20 years older. Prior owners didn't trash the place or anything like that, but it definitely shows age. Same thing has happened to me whenever I've purchased used vehicles. The instant I started purchasing new, almost all my headaches disappeared. Even with inspections and the like, there are always hidden troubles that come up. At least, that has been my experience to date with vehicles and houses.

Again, it's very possible that I might find a very gently used one-year-old RV or something like that, with warranty remaining. I wouldn't run from that opportunity. However, I doubt I'd save much over the cost of a new RV (based on some searches I've done online), and I wouldn't be able to tailor some of the options (interior design and so forth) without spending the extra money to get the RV how we want it. So unless we got really lucky on price and options for a used RV, the option of buying used just isn't terribly appealing to me at the moment.
EricHarmon is offline   Reply With Quote