Thread: Generator
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2017, 12:50 PM   #13
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
Yes, both sides of the breaker panel are fed by either shore power or the generator.

Actually, 50A service provides two legs at 50A each for a total of 12kw (30A service provides one leg st 30A for a total of 3.8kw) There are no "30A legs" in a unit with 50A service.
I think if you search the forum for many, many posts on this you'll find this is not true. I also know as I rewired my Montana myself when installing our 400 watt solar system. RVs, and our Montanas for certain, are wired with the 50 amp plug and cable broken into two 30 amp circuits. Check your AC breaker panel and you'll find two ganged 30 amp breakers. These are the two 30 amp circuits I wrote about. There's no 220v as some think and not anything of 50 amps total by itself. If your inverter is feeding both sides, you've got to be very careful not to have your air conditioner, refer on electric, or hot water heater on electric as these will drain your batteries in a heart beat - probably damage them as well. (I actually had to move the refer breaker to the other leg.) I broke the circuit for the side that feeds all the mundane things (ceiling fan, TV, sound system, microwave, outlets, etc.) and put our inverter in it. The other leg goes straight to all the high-amperage things.