View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 03:42 AM   #34
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Dennis, I am not a structural engineer, my expertise revolves around surface mining and earthwork. You asked so I will still provide my thoughts. My opinion of the flaw in the original design of the Mor-Ryde is that it simply was not stiff enough for the lateral forces that turns, backing, etc. apply to the vertical hangers. The fix they are providing provides additional vertical support via the thickness of the bolted-on flange as well as boxing the hangers together with the horizontal tube to essentially make the entire structure act as as one instead of two independent hangers. Time and use will tell if this fix is sufficient, but my gut feeling after seeing the horizontal bar is that it should work. At present, the part of the fix that I will be paying close attention to is the torque of the eight bolts that attach the horizontal flanged square tube to the spring hangers. In essence these eight bolts are providing a box frame (very strong from an engineering viewpoint) but the strength of the frame is totally dependent upon the attachment to the hangers. The attachment is critical!!! Welding would have been preferred by far. With regard to the diagonal bracing, my concern would be that any sideways torque or flex would be point loaded wherever the braces were attached to the frame. Point loading on the frames would introduce a very strong possibility of bending since I am sure they are not designed for it. I do think that a combination of both approaches as you suggested would indeed be stronger, if all of the pieces (horizontal, diagonal, and vertical) were attached together preferably by welds not bolts. Based on everything that I have seen so far on the forum, the best solution is the one that Richfaa took, the independent suspension system. If I start to see any movement at all in the new fix, that will probably be my fix as well. All of the above is posted as my opinion only and should not be taken as engineering advice and is not intended as such (Have to put that disclaimer in).
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote