View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 06:35 PM   #28
azranger
Established Member

M.O.C. #7203
RRman wrote:
"I just wish everyone who had any kind of Fifth Wheel Hitch/Frame or Gooseneck Adapter Frame failure would report that just as so many do regarding unending Tire Failures (which based on MANY reports would seem inevitable), followed by frequent suspension failures, so that some anecdotal based risk assessment could be made. For me, while the consequences are severe, the likelihood seemed very remote and I made my decision based on that. Similarly, I have replaced all my Five Year Old Tires as the consequences are severe AND the likelihood appears great!"

Good points! I chose to replace my Mission tires after a blow-out with less than 3,000 miles on the original set. In addition, I have read about several dropped 5th wheels causing $2,500 to $7,500 in damage to truck and trailer combos. There is a lot of talk about theoretical gooseneck issues ("bad idea", "voided warranty", "physics", etc.) but I have yet to see any examples of actual problems. I had a gooseneck adapter installed on my 2007 3475RL and have towed it for approximately 10,000 miles over 2+ years with no problem. I had it installed by Cliff's Welding in Mesa, AZ who said they have installed a lot of them with no problems reported. I went with a Pop-up RV1 adapter ( www.popuphitch.com ). PopUp uses a box-type construction versus tube or pipe-type of most other manufacturers. This seems to reduce the gooseneck stress cited in most criticisms. I also went with a Cody Cushion air bag attachment ( http://www.codyhitch.com/cody%20cushion.htm ) which further reduces the front/rear stresses.
azranger is offline   Reply With Quote