Thread: Wifi antenna
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2006, 09:05 AM   #18
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
I looked around both D-Link and LinkSys’ sites, last night. My head got full, so I left it before digesting the actual functions. But it does seem like a Wireless Access Point is what’d do it. The one I was able to see photos of the connections on, however, only showed one Ethernet connection. Not sure if that’d be used to connect to a PC, acting like a print server, or one acting as a path to the Internet.

I’ve got our old D-Link DI-624, as well. We’ve been using it as a simple router, in here. I’ve taken the antenna off it so whatever broadcasting it might do shouldn’t mess with someone else’s reception. At least I HOPE it won’t. But we only use it sparingly, about three times since we’ve hit the road. It’s almost faster for Kimmrg to e-mail a file she wants to print from this PC, rather than connect her CAT-5 Ethernet cable to print directly through this PC from her laptop.

I’m going to mess around and see if I can’t make this work for us without the cable, though. Since I have Windows XP Pro, I can use the 10/100 NIC, (Network Interface Card, or Ethernet Adapter,) to be programmed as a SERVER, and see if that’d function like a DSL modem would, so that Kimmrg can connect to me with her PCMCIA Wireless Adapter, just by choosing this router to connect to, rather than the CG’s Wi-Fi router’s signal. That could be helpful at rallies, setting up an Ad Hoc network, as well.

Trouble with this idea is that I’m more a “Hardware person,” than a “Software person.” So I’m likely to simply get lost.

If that happens, and I completely blow up this router, I’ll have the router’s configuration saved to disk, and might just go out and spend a couple of bucks on a simple four-port router.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote