Thread: Wifi antenna
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2006, 06:50 AM   #11
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
I use a PCI Wireless Adapter card in my desktop PC in the Monty. It comes with the usual short rubberized antenna, like those on a wireless router.

Because I have the PC secured under the desk in this rig, that antenna is up against the wall of the Monty. It received signals when they were fairly strong. But we couldn’t always be close to the Wi-Fi transmitter in all campgrounds.

I picked up a D-Link wireless antenna. It has a cable that allows me to disconnect the rubberized antenna from the PCI card, and screw it onto the card. I place it in the window of the Monty, above the desk, and it has allowed me to pick up Wi-Fi at virtually all the places that provided it. Even was able to see someone’s home wireless network signal in a CG in Minnesota, that had no Wi-Fi.

It can be used on a router, if you happen to have one, as well. It’s supposed to be directional, though I’ve not had to juggle it around, yet.

Only problem is that I’m not sure how it might help a PCMCIA cards, though. Kimmrg just moves around with her laptop to get a signal.

But D-Link makes other PCI cards, as well.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote