View Single Post
Old 09-12-2006, 03:51 PM   #33
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Good Evening All,

Lonnie, in the states of Texas and New Mexico, triple towing is defined as 1 tow vehicle, hauling 2 trailers - towing with 3 interconnected entities. It is legal in Texas, not in NM. I am not aware that there are any states that will allow the actual "towing" of 3 trailers. I too don't really see the logic in the terminology, and do not even know if it is standard across the country.

But, for what its worth, I too am readying my 3400 to triple tow a 12' covered trailer to haul my Harley. Going down the road, I will be 64' and weight in at about 21900# - just inside the spec for the 2500HD.

There are a number of Internet sites that list in which states it is legal to triple tow (although some have incorrect information). In general, the majority states do - 37 I believe - with many of the coast states not allowing it. Interestingly, Colorado is one of the states where it is legal - even with many of the mountain passes.

Also, for what its worth, I predict that Keystone will get around to offering the Monty with a hitch in the future since many of the competitors currently offer it as an option. Don't forget that the Montana was originally desgined with an 8" I-beam frame which caused numerous frame-flex problems. The newer models are built with 10" re-enforced frames.

My wife loves the 3400. I love my wife - and my Harley. Just my opinion.

Rick & Wanda
2003 2500HD Crew Cab
Duramax with Allison Trans.
Firestone Airbags
Glide-Ride Pinbox - It's Great!
2006 3400RL - We Love The Trailer!

Montana Customer Service?
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote