View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Patience not four letter words.

The shower door got shattered on our Monty and I replaced it temporarily with plexiglass. Now I want to put matching glass back into the door. When I put the plexiglass in, the guy came out and did it on the spot, so he didn't take the door frame out, just the frame around the glass.

This time the door needed to be removed and taken to the shop to put the tempered glass in. There are about 12-14 screws to be removed, two of them on the threshold. When the door was installed, the installer twisted the self-tapping screw into, but left the screw in the hole.

When I start to remove it, the top half came out, but the frame was still held fast by the rest of the screw. There was no way to get to it, so I decided to drill it out. The bit snapped and I was worse off than before. Of course everything was below the surface. Can't get to it with pliers. After consultation, I decided to drive the bit and screw through, then had second thoughts. Called the dealer service manager. "No don't do that. It is 3/8" molded plastic."

I had managed to slip a putty knife between the shower and the frame on each side of the screw. Then I slipped a thicker putty knife on each side. Got a hack saw blade and it, too, slipped between the frame and the molded shower tub. I slowly and carefully sawed the screw into. The only damage was a 3/16" X 1/2" rub mark on the shower where the hacksaw blade rubbed.

The last thing the service manager said to me was, "Stiles, remember, it is patience, not four letter words that you need for this."
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote