View Single Post
Old 06-07-2004, 08:53 AM   #1
Montana_1235
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1235
Extra Cabinet Shelves added

I don’t know why they make the bathroom and toilet cabinets so tall with no shelves. To separate our things better instead of piling them on top of each other I installed a shelf in both the bathroom and toilet cabinets. I bought a 2’ X 4’ piece of 1/8” birch panel board, eight 5/8” square X 24” long wood dowel rods and a roll of oak contact paper from Lowe’s. I cut the shelves to fit into the cabinets then cut the dowel rod to fit under each new shelf. Before assembly I covered each dowel rod and each shelf separately with the oak contact paper. Then I stapled the shelf to the dowel rods so it formed the bracing under the shelf. Next I drilled pilot holes in the dowel rods where I was going to mount the new shelves. I used a spare 4X4 cut to make each shelf center from top to bottom. When finished I removed the 4X4. Now we have a shelf half way from bottom to top of both cabinets. That makes for better separation of all our things.

The remainder of the dowel rods and board I used to make a shelf above our TV in the bedroom. The TV sits on the chest of drawers and takes up most of the room. I like to keep a fan on while sleeping so I needed a place to put it. I made the shelf for the fan the same way I made the shelves for the cabinets except I made legs on it so it can stand alone. I didn’t want to permanently mount anything directly to the top of the chest of drawers, (3685FL Model), or walls so I used a strip of Velcro along one side of the shelf to secure it to the wall. I also put Velcro on the bottom of each leg to secure them to the top of the chest of drawers. It looks like a small table sitting on my chest of drawers and is the same color oak as the rest of the trim. Now I have a place for the TV and the fan!

Bill & Pat Parker
Fredericksburg, Virginia
2004 Montana 3685FL
2001 F-350 Crew Cab 4X4 DRW 7.3 Diesel
Montana_1235 is offline   Reply With Quote