View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Alan, are you talking about a standard hitch? I've installed a Reese fifthwheel hitch, no slider, in our first towing pickup. Two things to remember are measure, measure, measure, then measure again. Make sure the center of the pin hole in the hitch is no more than two inches forward of the axle center line and absolutely NOT behind the axle center line. Aft of the axle will cause handling problems. Use the numbers the hitch manufacturer provides.

Another issue, when measuring and drilling, make sure your truck is flat on the ground. Level ground. If you have it jacked up or on unlevel ground, there may be a bit of twist in the bed. The hitch will still work but you may have some difficulty removing the hitch from its mounts when you want to clear the bed. Actually, the problem is worse when reinstalling the hitch.

Another is to make sure you check the manufacturer's recommendations as to whether you can drill through the frame. On my Dodge, it specifically says NO holes in the frame. Hitch manufacturers make kits to handle this. Be sure you have the installation hardware kit specific to your truck.

And make sure you have a high quality drill bit capable of cutting through steel with reasonable effort.

Otherwise, sure, you can do it. Good luck.

on edit... well, shoot, I didn't read the topic completely. The above probably applies to a superglide but I'm not sure. I had the selling dealer install ours.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote