View Single Post
Old 02-13-2019, 02:03 PM   #16
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Why we don't have pets...

Years ago, we decided not to have pets after we retire and travel. This is the basis for that decision. We would walk through the National Park campgrounds, listening to the incessant barking of dogs left in moturhomes and trailers for the day while the owners are gone for hours and hours having fun where they can't take pets. They didn't have to listen to them all day long, but the neighbors certainly did. We weren't willing to be tied down in our activities by pets and and it isn't our way to own pets leaving them alone for hours on end. If your lifestyle isn't one that seperates you from your pet, then it'll work. Ours is an active lifestyle. We're usually gone for hours and hours each day, biking and hiking, shopping, movies, dinners and playing Pickleball or beach combing or something. Seldom sitting around during the day. If you are at all active, somebody will suffer. Probably the pets and the neighbors. As for the house, nobody needs to come in. I just put it to bed in my absence. No live plants in my house for this exact reason. I hire someone to mow, edge and trim the lawns once a week. I cancel the mail and shut off the water inlet valve. I pour some vinegar in the toilets to prevent scale. I turn off the water heater totally. Arm the alarm and walk out for however long. Never a problem.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote