Thread: Holes in steps
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2018, 06:08 PM   #13
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
They are there for a reason. If you didn’t need them Keystone wouldn’t have went to all the trouble of making them. Close them and you will be drawing cold air from the basement and outside.
Lynwood
I rebuilt my steps this winter, and had the old "steps" completely removed. The furnace is in no manner, way, shape or form ducted to those grilles on your steps. I determined they are there as a 'forced' return. Meaning when the furnace comes on it is forcing air into the living space, depending on how long the furnace runs the possibility exists to pressurize the trailer and reduce the efficiency of the furnace fan. That said you can accomplish the same thing as those grilles by opening a window. The way these rigs are constructed the furnace will draw from outside and the basement area LONG before it pulls any from the cabin.
ALSO the grilles are the same size in every trailer they make, so every set of steps are 50% complete (the way they build) so it's also a time thing. They can face the steps with 6 pieces of pre-finished pre-cut 'wood'. Therefore removing the need for a carpenter.

Mark