View Single Post
Old 03-18-2018, 11:59 AM   #5
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtis934 View Post
It is a toy hauler and that means things are done different than a standard fifth wheel design. Your grey handle is just another toy hauler artifact, along with having an on board gas tank, and other design changes needed to handle a rear door, kitchen design more suited to the weekend camping crowd, etc. However, since you wanted a toy hauler, you can now do the plumbing changes to make it function the way you want. Nothing is impossible, they are just opportunities.

Respectfully, I don't think you understand that the HC 380/381 is NOT a conventional toy hauler.

We looked at a lot of toy haulers and simply did not like them for much the same reasons that you describe (living rooms in the kitchen layout more for weekenders or young active families and very utility looking garages). Before we found the HC 381 we were resigned to simply buy a front living room unit. The 381 allows us to still have a front living room layout and full use of a 42' living area but also have a garage. So you understand the garage is UNDER the rear bedroom.

HOWEVER, the HC 380/381 are HYBRID toyhaulers. They do NOT have gas tanks or a rear door on the side going into the BASEMENT garage (access to garage is via rear ramp only). I would say the Kitchen is very conventional and compares to any other mid kitchen/front living room design we looked at. And with a massive living room area plus residential fridge, I would buy this exact same floor plan for full time use!!! In fact the basement garage is a great option for full timers as you have a place to store your out of season clothes and other items that you don't use often but still need to carry with you when full timing!

I am fairly familiar with engineering and construction. There is NO reason, I can think of, for them to have placed the valve handles where they did other than poor design and engineering! FYI: All of the tanks and valves are in front of the garage area on this unit! They simply did not think the design out in detail and the guys building these things as fast as they can in the shop just put the valves where it was handy and quick for them. Nobody considered the owners or where the best location for those valves would be.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote