Thread: SRW vs. DRW
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2015, 07:51 AM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Figuring pin weight is very easy. There is a sticker on your truck with all the data. On our Ford it is on the drivers side door.

We ordered our Ford heavy duty all the way around. Snow plow package and camper package which mean heavier duty springs, etc.

The GVWR is 13,000 lbs and the Carry capacity is 4268lbs.Now you have got to weigh the truck ready to tow with everything in it. Fords are heavy anyhow and ours ready to tow weighed in at 9236 lbs.

Take that real weight and subtract it from the GVWR 13,000-9236 = 3764lbs that is the REAL carry capacity not the sticker 4268lbs and since the truck is fully loaded and fueled that 3764 is the max pin weight you can have. Now you need to weigh the Montana to get the actual pin weight . On our Montana the actual pin weight was 2850 and we are long timers so we run a bit heaver than most. The 20% rule of thumb would have given us a estimated pin weight of 3160lbs so we had 310lbs to spare.

Just do the same with your individual numbers for your truck Single wheel or dually. The numbers will not lie.
The newer trucks have higher numbers.

In terms of ease of parking, drive through banks car washes , We bought the truck to pull a heavy Montana nothing else.

Stability I don't know we had a member on here a few years ago who had the expertise to figure that out and of course the dually had a higher stability factor. If I were to buy a new truck today I would look at the specifications and if they fell within the parameters
I would buy the truck Dually or not.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote