View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 08:28 PM   #5
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by yablonskil

I am a new Montana owner & just purchased a 2008 RL3400 with the Artic pkg. My question is what size Generator will safely run this 15000 btu beast. I purchased a Honda 2000i but camping world says that the 2000i & the companion 2000i hooked up in parallel will not start/run this unit. I am not sure I trust that answer. Can anyone help me as I am taking off this Sunday Aug. 1st. Does anyone else have this problem & what size generator do you use?

thanks

len Y
That is Bull****, my paralleled Companion and Standard eu2000's start and run the 15k btu AC just fine, and once the AC is up and running I can also run the convection oven as well. Just set the generator's economy switches to off until the AC compressor starts, set the AC on max so the compressor is not starting and stopping all of the time and you can then flip the eco switches to the on position. If you want to run the microwave, flip the genny eco switches back to off while the AC is still running(not cycling on and off though).

If you want to let the AC cycle on and off, leave the eco switches in the off position and be careful using peripheral wattage eaters. For instance, if you want to use the microwave, temporarally switch off the AC.

You've got 4,000 peak watts of power when they are in parallel

Get up on the roof of your 5er and check out the info plate on the AC for the start up amps and convert that to watts to see what you truely need. A typical 15,000 btu rv air conditioner needs about 3,500 start up watts, and 1,500 running watts. You do the math, and tell your salesman that he doesn't know his A** from a hole in the ground!

Have someone watch the genny overload LED's the first few times you run extra things on top of the AC to be certain.
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote