View Single Post
Old 08-29-2018, 02:59 PM   #24
wade
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22358
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
Before your hitch I'd be more concerned with the truck. Your trailer looks to be 14200 loaded out assuming you do that. Your pin will run around 2800. the hitch will about about 200. fuel, passengers and other gear in the bed will put you close to over your truck payload rating. All those things and the trailer will most certainly put you over the your CGWVR. Sure the truck will tow it, but stopping and handling it in all conditions could be unsafe. Adding airbags which is common for 3/4 ton truck owners that tow... will cut 100 lbs from your usable payload. Asking about hitches is fine but a great hitch on a bad truck choice does not make for good karma. Okay I'll don my flame retardant suit...

FWIW.
Its a good thing we have all these big heavy duty high horsepower pickups now to haul these campers, its a wonder how back in the day we had lighter duty trucks, weaker frames with low horsepower power like under 180hp and 3 speed transmissions and smaller rear ends and axles, using air shocks not the fancy air bags and still hauled those big heavy trls all over the country and nobody ever worried about the CGWVR. How did we ever get bye huh imagine that
wade is offline   Reply With Quote