View Single Post
Old 11-19-2006, 02:15 PM   #16
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Hmmm.. Seems to me "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." was buried by the "continuous improvement" theories invented in America but championed by the Japanese. Lonnie is right, the programmers do change the shift points of the tranny. However, The transmission computer itself is continuously changing the shift points to match the way you drive. The computer will adapt over about 50 or 100 miles depending on the driving pattern. Out of the box the program sets up for max performance. But, guys like me do not abuse the truck. I only want the extra getup and go for on ramps , lane changes and the like. To me, it is a safety margin I am willing to pay a couple of bucks for. But, like I said, I am a horsepower junkie. The first airplane I built had almost 50 % more horse power than it was originally designed fo. My new one will have 20% more and would have more if I could find the engine that would fit. Airplanes and trucks are alike in that you have to learn to respect the machine and what it can do -- not to abuse it but to nurture and care for it - and love it when it does what you tell it to do.
Dave

Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote