View Single Post
Old 12-10-2019, 06:17 AM   #6
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleback View Post
You kind of have a loaded question as you are looking for advice on what to look for but you do not want any comments on a drw vs. srw or ford vs. chevy .vs ram. I'm not sure how to advise but not start the get out the popcorn thing. but Dodge is now Ram and the old problematic series transmissions are long gone.
Thanks for the reply!

Not to get into a battle here, but I see a lot of SRW's towing large units like ours. I realize that does not mean that they are inside the limits.

Maybe a better question is this: Is it possible to stay inside the limits of an SRW? The numbers that I have in the spreadsheet, seem to indicate this. We are not full timing, and for the most part, are not going far. Our longest trip would be 180 miles one way.

What I also find a little bit upside down in the numbers is that you can PULL a trailer that weighs 24500 with a Ram, but the pin weight on that is 5000 lbs, and you're immediately over the payload. Ford is the same way. 22000 trailer, but pin weight is 4400, and you're over the payload. What is the point in rating the truck to be able to pull weight that you could never actually get setup?

It's maybe that I don't want a dually, as much as I need a place to park it. It would become our daily driver (for my wife, forgot to mention that), and she doesn't want to drive that around.

I'm aware that Ram is using a different transmission now. If I was going to get a Ram, it would have to be with the Aisin. I have gotten spoiled with the Allison in my Chevy. It is 100% bulletproof.

I'm just trying to make sense of all of this and understand it. There's obviously people out there who have a lot more experience in this than I do, since I've never been in this situation before.

Again, appreciate your input. Thanks!
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote