View Single Post
Old 01-28-2006, 10:29 PM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
All the comments made reflect the experiences and/or opinions of the folks who made them. All of us can only give you anecdotal information. So my experience has shown me that one can find a pre-enjoyed unit for a significant savings.

The unit we bought was well maintained by a meticulous aeronautic engineer and ex-fighter pilot. This Big Sky unit looked like it came off the showroom floor after 18 months of fulltiming. It had many additional bells and whistles that the guy had added to the unit, i.e., second A/C unit and stacked washer/dryer units. The TV only had 45000 miles which is nothing on a diesel engine. It also had been maintained with the same care. Before delivering the truck to us, he mounted four new tires of quality and replaced the batteries, fuel filter, and had it serviced.

We were able to purchase this entire package for about half the combined cost of the rig if it had been bought new at a fair price. New would not have had the upgrades which I estimated at $3000 or better.

A seven-year extended transferable warranty with 5.5 remaining years was included and he paid the transfer fee. The only problem we have had was to replace the front landing leg motor and gearbox. Even though I was a second owner, the manufacturer of the motor covered it under the original warranty provisions and even upgraded it to the high capacity unit.

I found it one day looking through internet advertizing. My first thought was, "What is wrong with it?" We traveled 300 miles the next day to see it and after going over it thoroughly, we bought it on the spot ahead of two other buyers due to come the next day.

My conclusion is that under the right conditions, you can buy a quality pre-owned unit and save considerable funds that can be used on the road or for additional upgrades without taking undue or foolhearty risks.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote