Thread: Solar Install
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2017, 04:55 PM   #5
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Thanks for the input. Just finished 6 days boon docking at 8600 feet with nights in the 20s. Held off on solar and inverter to make sure I was making the right decisions. Managed fine with my 2 Honda 2K gens. Often had to run both gens in the morning to handle the converter recharging batteries (after the heater ran a fair amount in the cold temps) plus either the coffee maker or micro wave. I think I need to go to a 3K watt inverter and will assess the solar more later. It is easy to add another panel and my pre-wire is advertised to handle up to 30 amps plus I will still have my gens available to augment.
Sounds like a plan, one critical thing when building a solar system is the wiring. So with all the horror stories we read about stupid mistakes that are made at the plant, I would be leary of trusting what you can't see behind the walls. Also are you sure you need a 3000 watt inverter? The bigger you go the higher the amp draw is at idle. Also your 2 biggest users are the microwave and the coffee pot and how often will you really need to run both at the same time?? Some people have a residentual fridge, I don't and I run mine on gas so It's not a big amp draw for me. Another thing about Renogy is they have an Ebay store as well as their regular store. Same items, bran new but you can put in bids. They don't move to far but I saved $150 by shopping on the ebay store. Good luck