Thread: Sat TV advice
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2017, 02:38 PM   #4
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Thanks BB. I am trying to justify us even having sat at all based on our use of TV while camping.

AZ, We live in the sticks and used to have sat TV service at home. But I cut the cord on that high dollar sat as soon as they ran high speed internet via fiber optic out to us backwoods folks. Haven't regretted it a second. And boy on boy was that a great call to make "Hey high dollar Dish, we don't need your services any longer"! You could have seen the grin on my face from outer space!

We stream all our entertainment via ROKU box. It works great. I really like that you can go to any of the major news groups and select which story you want to hear. Want to see what Fox news thinks about President Trumps tweet today? One click and your watching that story instantly without having to wait for it over an hour long broadcast!!!!

We would have high speed internet anyway so that cost does not count toward the total cost of TV viewing (the sat. company tried to say it did and I just laughed at them). A ROKU box costs ya about $50.OO once to buy and your done with equipment. That sure beats the monthly fees for a sat box much less two!!! ROKU also happens to be plug and play so there is no installation charges!!! Anybody that can plug a TV into a wall can hook up a wireless ROKU box. No more waiting on the Sat or cable installation guy ALL DAY LONG!!!!

Netflix covers most of our movie and documentary watching at only $10 per month. That's a really good deal compared to the $120 the sat used to cost us! There are several free and pay per view channels out there for streaming too. So there is a LOT of flexibility.

The ONLY thing I am waiting for is a channel to become available that shows ONLY the ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS and no one else.....Based on what I am seeing with the constant improvements to streaming I suspect that will happen before long.....

But of course we are a few decades away from dependable and affordable streaming TV for camping (they are headed that way I suspect). So in the meantime I am trying to decide if I can justify the pay as you go Sat and the cost of the equipment......
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote