View Single Post
Old 06-09-2018, 11:23 AM   #146
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
dfb,
That folks actually thought your comment on 1/2 tons was serious amazes me!!

But just to add fuel to that fire. A 1/2 ton could get just about any 5er rolling down the highway. It would certainly be overloaded with just about any. And getting the dang thing stopped safely, especially going down hill would be a serious challenge. Which is I suspect the point dfb was making. If your going to use words like "HYPE" don't be surprised when you get push back.

It isn't "HYPE" to want to tow safely. Having a little more truck than you actually need is just wisdom.

When I was a youngster, I took all sorts of risks. The older I get the more I realize the possible consequences of taking risks. Granted you have to be reasonable, it isn't reasonable to tow a 5er with a full blown 18 wheeler tractor BUT it is reasonable to tow with a 1 ton DRW!! And after all that is the point of this now 8 page debate!!!!!

Every DRW advocate on here understands if your circumstances require you have the narrower SRW (IE: you use it as an everyday driver in a major metro area or you can't afford a second smaller vehicle). BUT at the same time just because YOU own an SRW is it really necessary for you to not admit to the facts that a DRW is a superior TOWING platform?? It has more tow capacity and it IS a more stable truck with better under load braking!! Granted if your CURRENT 5er is under the tow capacity of your SRW have at it. Just down come down on those of us who want a little extra or may be planning for a future upgrade to something larger.

How about we all just agree to be as SAFE as we REASONABLY can be based on our own circumstances?

I can't wait for the next newbee to ask this same question again LOL.......
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys