View Single Post
Old 11-23-2017, 08:20 AM   #9
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVingUSA View Post
We are about to take our first trip to Florida with our 2011 Montana 3400RL. We will be leaving the Grand Rapids, MI area shortly after Christmas and heading for the Tampa/St Pete area for about a month then going over to the east coast the end of January to catch a cruise ship (our kids bought us the cruise for our 30th anniversary). Not sure how long we will stay on that side as we prefer the west coast but plan on heading back home the end of Feb. We don't have reservations anywhere so we're just going to wing it and cross our fingers that we can find places to stay. We just bought a 2011 Silverado diesel 3500 to pull it with and have a lot of questions.

1. I've read on some threads that it is recommended to carry water in your fresh water tank. What about freezing? Wouldn't the water freeze if it were below freezing?
2. Can we drive with the refrigerator turned on and loaded?
3. Where are safe places to stop for the night? Can you spend a night in a rest area or is that illegal? What are the rules about stopping at a Walmart? Do you need permission to do that? Can you pull into most businesses that are closed for the night and park in their parking lots as long as you're gone by opening time?
4. Is anyone a Good Sam member and have the Road Assistant? Is it reliable?
5. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Years ago we used to try to stay in central Illinois until right after Christmas and then haul south to Florida in our Montana. Most years we could get far enough south (Clarksville or further) to be in temps that were not freezing. We were full time and ran with furnace running. If you leave as far north as you are and are winterized, you may want to plan on leaving it winterized and stay in a motel the first night, then the second night out you should be able to un-winterize and be fine. If this was my first long trip south in questionable winter weather I would be booking sites at CG's. There are two really good CG's in Clarksville. Get the app RVParky and you can search for ones on your route that are open that time of year.

If it was me I would consider taking I-65 out of Nashville. This will take you down to Montgomery where you can catch US RT 231 through Alabama. US RT 231 is a divided 4-lane and almost all brand new pavement. It will add about 1 or 1.5 hours to your trip but for us it is worth it to avoid Atlanta plus the pull over Mount Eagle.

Friends of ours started calling around a month ago for a spot. They wanted a site from January 1 to March 1 for their 32' Class C. They called about every CG between Tampa and Naples. A couple places offered them a site but only if they booked for January, February, and March. Those months were between $1,100 and $1,500 per month. They decided to just drive their SUV down and rent a condo for a month. Your best bet will probably be to stay up in the panhandle or southern Alabama/Georgia. You may find a CG up in that area that will give you the dates you are seeking. Then you can just drive your truck down to Tampa to catch the cruise. There is great secure parking at the cruise docks.

About the only other thing I could suggest would be to ask the different CG's to put you on a waiting list for the months you desire and wait and see.

Hope this helps. We have a site at Upriver RV in North Ft. Myers. If you find anything around there you want us to check out for you just let us know. Safe travels.