View Single Post
Old 10-28-2019, 07:37 PM   #10
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Please show me where I suggested that anyone use a truck that was under capacity.
A couple of things here. When I say that my truck is just right for me, that's exactly what I mean. It means it meets the proper weight carrying capacity amongst other criteria for my specific uses. I have never, and never will advocate for driving over a vechicles "safe" limits.
15 % of GVWR is industry standard for calculating pin weight, although 20% is a more relevant figure. My trailer has a little over 4,000lbs of cargo carrying capacity, a figure I will never get close to. So to tell someone that they must buy a truck that will handle their trailers max gross weight is just not right. Each owner needs to look at how he is going to use their trailer and use that to help make their buying decision. By the time most buy a trailer of Montana's caliber they have been RVing for a few years and know how they are going to use it. Remember a full timer's cargo carrying needs are much different then a weekender or vacationers needs.