View Single Post
Old 06-26-2007, 05:01 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

That is a interesting observation Steve. We were discussing the pro's and con's of a integrated GPS should we get another truck.
It works pretty well once I find the location I want to get to. It's functionality is similar to many portable units, albeit decent ones.

However, my Garmin 2720 has so much more functionality and convenience features that I'll stay with it. For example, I can save up to something like 50 different routes right in the GPS. Not just the current one. I can have up to 2500+ waypoints in the gps at any one time. Best of all, I can use the included mapping software on my laptop, as I was doing earlier tonight for our upcoming New England trip, and when it's done I just plug in the Garmin to the laptop via a usb port and upload routes and/or waypoints.

The Garmin has touch screen. The builtin does not. On the builtin I have to turn knobs, push buttons, and/or operate a joystick and push buttons. It would be much easier to use if it were touchscreen. My Garmin is touchscreen but also has some buttons for quick aqcess. For example, to plot a route to home, just push the Find button twice. To hear the next instruction and see details of a turn well in advance of when it gives you that automatically, push the Speak button. Also there's a Menu button and a Map button (shortcut to return you to the map).

I do, however, like the builtin in the sense that the large screen is used for am/fm, cd player (6 cd changer), and satellite (sirius) radio. And it shows the song name and who sings it. It looks nice but I'd not order the nav system in a new truck. My garmin was less than 1/3 the cost.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote