View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 07:12 AM   #9
goodellj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20452
We bought a 36' Montana, not as long as yours but here are my observations:
1. If you are alert driver with good spatial awareness, you will be fine with lane changes, turning, and backing. Be extra careful in the beginning.
2. I get a lot more tired driving the truck & trailer than a car or truck alone, so don't get too ambitious with long distances per day.
3. Make sure you have good mirrors and get used to using them on the highway. On my F350 I find the large convex mirrors are my main rear-views and are wonderful.
4. When backing up a good spotter is absolutely required. I still prefer pull-through campsites, especially for overnights. Backup cameras are useful but have serious limitations.
5. I never pull into a parking lot or anywhere else without knowing how I will get out. If it looks tight, park on the shoulder and walk in.
6. When you reach the crest of a tall hill (or mountain!), you absolutely MUST have control of your speed. You can't start down the hill with excessive speed. This also applies to blind curves.
These are the tips I can quickly think of. With practice and experience you will be more confident. Good luck!!
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote